Monday, March 4, 2013

The New Santa Clara Stadium

Candlestick Park has been home to the San Francisco 49ers since 1971, and 10 months ago, ground was broken for the new Santa Clara Stadium. Candlestick also served as the home of the San Francisco Giants from 1960 until the opening of Pacific Bell Park in 2000. Unlike Candlestick, the New Santa Clara Stadium will serve as strictly a football stadium.

I have only been to a single NFL game in my life. It was in the 2011 season in Arizona where I watched the 9ers lose to the Cardinals. It was a great experience, despite the outcome of the game. It has always been a dream of mine to attend a game at Candlestick like my dad did so many times as a young man. The new stadium is set to open for the 2014 season, so I intend on going to at least one game at The Stick before it closes down for good.

I am so excited for the new stadium though. When I was in the bay last summer, we drove by the new stadium to check out the progress, and they had barely gotten a parking structure up. There now stands a 9 story suite tower. Needless to say, that thing is going up FAST. The new stadium is going to be very environmentally friendly and energy efficient as well. I cannot wait to go see it in person!

You can book a tour of the new stadium and view other information here.

A photo gallery of the progress of the new stadium can be found here.

Candlestick
New Santa Clara Stadium

No comments:

Post a Comment